FEATURE: Character Animation at SIGGRAPH 2000
by Steve Anzovin and Raf Anzovin
Character animators wandering SIGGRAPH 2000 in New Orleans found plenty to get excited about amid the mocap-wired dancers, full-body scanners, and tele-operated Muppets.
ETERNAL TRUTH OF THE MOMENT: The Tower of Babel
by Swami Rendananda
Film is dead. I don't mean barely breathing. I mean dead. Regardless of Roger Ebert's claim that digital will never replace celluloid, it will and here's why . . .
THE ARTIST'S CANVAS: Flat versus Deep: Faking Depth in Texture Art
by Eni Oken
Texture art is an often misunderstood and unexplored area in 3D, only recently gaining recognition. Largely responsible for the final look of any 3D model, textures not only give personality to the work, but also increase realism and add character to a model.
ONLINE & KICKING: Finally, a Fresh Face
by Barry Fox
Just about two years ago now, Orang Dialameh and Hartmut Neven, the founders of Eyematic Interfaces paid me a visit. Orang opened up his laptop, which had one of those little ball shaped videocameras on top of it and there was a little live video window on-screen. Then he put his face in front of his laptop. As his face came into the black and white video frame, a set of green dots appeared in the frame.
COMMUNITY CORNER: Brave New Worlds
by Abby Albrecht
- New stories now come with a button that will take you to a message board so you can chat about what you read.
- Have you checked out Tony DeLuca's Artist Spotlight?
- How about some of the great artwork in the (mostly) weekly Open Gallery?
- We have brought Eni Oken and Alex Lindsay over to the 3D Direct Newsletter.
- And the news? Well, Headlines is updated once a week.